Tuesday, October 30, 2007

1 Peter 1:13-16

Therefore, get your minds ready for work, keep yourselves under control, and fix your hopes fully on the gift you will receive when Yeshua the Messiah is revealed. As people who obey God, do not let yourselves be shaped by the evil desires you used to have when you were still ignorant. On the contrary, following the Holy One who called you, become holy yourselves in your entire way of life; since the Scripture says, "You are to be holy because I am holy."

-- 1 Peter 1:13-16

First I just wanted to say how good it feels to be back. My computer was in the shop for a couple of weeks, but it's home now! Now, on to our verse for today!

Over the years I have found that God quite often repeats Himself. It's not for His benefit. It's for you and me. We humans tend to be stubborn and rather thick headed at times - well, at least I know I am! In this verse from 1 Peter, Peter is telling believers that we need to actively disallow evil in our lives and desires. We are to actively become holy in our entire way of life! Why? Because God said that we are to be holy because He is holy. That scares me. It sounds very intimidating. I know myself well enough to know that I'm not holy or perfect in any way. I rather feel defeated before I even start!

But last night something dawned on me. It had to be God, because the thought was comforting and made me feel much better about these sorts of verses. To be holy doesn't mean to be perfect, or to live a life that is super-spiritual. To be holy means to be set apart for God. If we are to become holy, we are to continually be set apart in every area of our lives for God. He will guide us and show us the things that we need to let go - the evil desires and practices that we still cling to even though we are now His children. Oh, and "evil" doesn't mean that you're doing something heinous. It simply means that you're doing something that's displeasing to God.

Time and again God calls us to be holy. Time and again God calls us to cleanse ourselves from the desires and trappings of the world. Why? Because He loves us and He knows what's good for us - even if we think we know what's best for ourselves. He knows what will hurt us. He knows what will cause us pain and suffering. He sent His Son, Jesus, to set us free from these things, and only with His help can we do that. Ask Him and He will indeed help you become holy. He's the only one who can, because He is holy.

Back to Under The Shadow Of His Wing

No comments: