Sunday, October 7, 2007

Dueteronomy 6:4-9

Hear, O Israel! The Lord your God, the Lord is One! You shall love the Lord your God will all your heart, with all your strength and with all your might. And these words which I command you this day shall be upon thy heart. You shall teach them diligently unto thy children and shall speak of them as you sit in your house, as you walk by the way, when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign upon thy hand, and they shall be for frontlets between thine eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of thy house and upon thy gates.

- Deuteronomy 6:4-9

These are the first words that the Lord tucked away in my heart many, many years ago. When I was a child my family would go to synagogue almost every Friday night, and every time we were there we would recite these words. There was something about them that was just so beautiful to me – how God’s words were to be the focus of our lives, that we were to think of them at all times, and that we were to teach them diligently to our children. Needless to say, these words have been with me since my childhood. In fact, the way that I have written the verses is the way I remember saying them in synagogue and are the only way that sound “right” to me.

I have always taken the Word of God seriously, even before I came into a relationship with God through the Messiah. But now that I’m a mother, these words that I remember from my childhood have far greater meaning for me. I am now to diligently teach our child God’s Word – no small task, and quite daunting! But I know that if I rely on the One Who sowed these words in my heart when I was a child, He will teach and guide me as I teach and guide the child that He has given to us. Because of His guidance, teaching our son is a joy! I pray that your exploration of the Word of God will be a joy for you as well!

Back to Under The Shadow Of His Wing

No comments: