Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Isaiah 43:18-19

Stop dwelling on past events
and brooding over times gone by;
I am doing something new;
it's springing up - cant' you see it?
I am making a road in the desert,
rivers in the wasteland.

- Isaiah 43:18-19

When the Lord first brought this to my attention I was amazed. I knew that the Lord wanted me to understand that He was indeed doing something new in my life. In fact I had heard those verses before and really liked the idea of His doing something new - that He would make a way for me where it looked dry and wasted. But this time I knew He wanted me to see verse 18 and that the two verses really did go together. That got me to thinking.

I didn't need to ask if I really was dwelling on past events. I was the queen of brooding over times gone by. When the Lord brought this to my attention there were a few things that I found interesting. First of all, whenever I would start dwelling on past events, on wrongs done to me or on wrongs that I had done to others, I would start to relive the feelings of the past and get angry, depressed, you name it. If I had either forgiven or asked for forgiveness, then I was purposely going back to the filth of those sins and wallowing in them - probably not such a good thing to do. Then there's the word "brooding." Now, some folks use that word to mean fuss or fume over something, but this is the same word that the Lord uses in Genesis when He says that the Spirit of the Lord was brooding over the face of the deep during creation. There is a sense of care and nurturing attached with this word. Was I really caring for and nurturing my feelings of pain and frustration that are attached with those times gone by? You bet I was! Lastly, if I really was dwelling on past events and brooding over times gone by, if my attention was focused there, could I really see the newness that the Lord was bringing to my life? Very simply, it was extremely difficult to do so because my attention was not on the Lord.

God is indeed doing new things in our lives. He wants to bring us to new places of intimacy with Him. He wants to heal us emotionally, physically, and spiritually. But we have to cooperate, let go of what lies in the past, focus our attention on the Lord, and be amazed at what He does for us!

Back to Under The Shadow Of His Wing

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Truly this is an Amazing and Awesome lead of our Good Lord Jesus.

Even! my life was misery, i have not sinned, but was put into persecution and false accusation.

I was Doomed to death. But on one Silent night with Tears in my sight.
Heard the Voice of GOD.
God spoke to me these Words from Is43:18-19. and believe it or not.

Lord is Powerful. God is making a way for me in the wilderness, all I did was SURRENDER MY WHOLE SELF TO GOD AND MY EYES LOOKED UPON ONLY GOD.

Don't trust Humans they will Fail, But Our Good God will never FAIL.

Jeff