Saturday, October 13, 2007

Proverbs 3:21-24

My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment,
do not let them out of your sight;
they will be life for you,
an ornament to grace your neck.
Then you will go on your way in safety,
and your foot will not stumble;
when you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

- Proverbs 3:21-24

So many time in Scripture there is a "then." Unfortunately we don't always bother to go back and find out what the "then" is referring to. In these verses from Proverbs there is a "then" smack in the middle, but most times you will only see the two verses that begin with the "then."

For many years I've had problems sleeping. Either I can't go to sleep, or I do go to sleep and then wake up in the middle of the night. The Lord has shown me the root of the problem and He is graciously bringing me healing and restoration in this area (as well as in a number of others). When He first brought these verses to my attention I found it interesting that sound judgment and discernment were connected with safety, lack of fear, and the ability to sleep sweetly. These are words that I cling to as I press in toward God and seek His judgment and discernment for my life.

There are so many precious promises that God gives to us in His Word. But let's make sure that we take the time to surround the whole promise and not simply pick out the bit that we want to see.

Back to Under The Shadow of His Wing

No comments: